Schruns is one out of 11 villages of the 39km long alpine valley Montafon. Together with the neighbour village Tschagguns, Schruns is the hotspot of the valley. The Montafon is located in the south of Vorarlberg and in the South-West of Austria. We are surrounded by three mountain chains, Rätikon, Silvretta and Verwall.
The Montafon is a perfect holiday location in summer and winter for adults and children. With the special offer BergePlus card, which is free of charge for our guests, you are part of a free activity program throughout the whole valley.
Schruns is the perfect destination for your winter holidays and is located close to major ski areas. The Hochjoch cable car is only 6 walking minutes away. Besides skiing, the Montafon offers cross country skiing, snow shoe hikes and toboggan. During summer time, the valley offers a total of 1.161 km hiking paths, summer tobogganing path, outdoor pool and lakes. During summer and winter Schruns-Tschagguns offers a variety of events for guests and locals.
As documented by archaeological and botanical explorations, humans settled in the Montafon region 5,000 years ago. The Montafon region was originally settled by Rhaetians coming from Walgau and Grisons. Many Rhaeto-Romanic names of mountains, rivers and places as well as field and family names are remnants of it (e.g. Albona, Gafluna, Montjola, Silvretta, Tilisuna).
Mining was of great importance in the Montafon region throughout the Middle Ages and probably already in the Bronze and Iron Ages: iron, copper and silver were mined here. In the late Middle Ages, in about 1300, the miners from Silbertal and miners from Wals who were interested in mining tunnels in high locations moved to the Montafon region. The Romanic and later German settlement was mainly administered from the Meierhof courtyard close to Bludenz.
From 1258 to 1418/20, the Montafon region, which was part of the Romanic Province of Churrätien, belonged politically to the county of Werdenberg which founded the city of Bludenz between 1259 and 1296.
From the 15th century the Habsburgs ruled the Province of Vorarlberg, hence also the towns in the Montafon region, alternating from Tyrol and Anterior Austria (Freiburg im Breisgau). From 1805 to 1814 the Montafon region belonged to Bavaria. From 1814 the Montafon region belonged to Austria again.
In 1408, the Peace of Constance, which dissolved the military alliance Bund ob dem See, was also reaffirmed by the Montafon population in the form of the crossed keys in the coat of arms.
The coat of arms, two crossed keys, have their origin in the 15th Century. It stands for the openness of the valley.
Until 1317 Schruns was called Sankt Jossen. Until 1430 there were a variety of different names “Schirun”,”Scherun” at “St.Kosen in Schiruns”.
In 1926, the famous writer Nobel Prize laureate Ernest Hemingway spent 3 months at the Taube Hotel in Schruns. He included his experiences in his narrative “The Snows of Kilimanjaro”.
In 1928 Schruns got the status of a market town. An important reason for that was the well-known cattle market of Schruns where thousands of the famous Montafon brown cattle were herded. The famous cattle breeding is also reflected in the coat of arms of the market town: the rising bull in the golden-blue shield and the crossed keys of the former coat of arms of the valley below it.
While it used to be a rural health resort before World War II, Schruns has experienced a dynamic tourist upturn together with its neighbouring town Tschagguns.
More than 100 years ago, the Swiss writer I.C. Heer wrote: “It is more of a coquettish little town than a village.”.
Convince yourself by visiting Hotel Zimba in Schruns, located in the heart of the Montafon. It is perfect for a relaxing time in the mountains. We recommend our summer and winter special offers. Feel free to send us non-committal inquiry. We are looking forward to meeting you.